Being classified as a “Prepper” can be a derogatory thing, bringing to mind pictures of people living in bunkers, armed to the teeth and wearing gas masks. The silly show Doomsday Preppers doesn’t really do much to dispell that myth, either. However, I am here to tell you that more people are “Preppers” than you may think. In fact, you could even be a prepper and not even know it!
How would you answer the following 5 questions?
1. Do you have candles, flashlights, extra batteries and lanterns in a specific place in case the power goes out?
2. Do you have at lease 10 days worth of food in your cabinets and freezer in case something happens and you can’t get to the store?
3. Do you have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher or other supplies to use in case of an emergency?
4. Do you have a suitcase, backpack or tote packed with essentials in case you need to leave your house quickly?
5. Do you have any type of family emergency plan on where to meet in case of a catastrophic event, (like a zombie apocalypse) or even a plan on what to do in case of a house fire, earthquake or tornado hits.
If you answered yes to two or more of these questions, then you are definitely a prepper.
Being a prepper does not mean that you think that the end of the world is going to happen at any minute. It doesn’t have to mean that you have ten years worth of food in your basement, or a bunker hidden under your house. All it means to be a prepper is that you want you and your family to be prepared in case of an emergency. An emergency could be any one of a number of things such as an earthquake, hurricane, or blizzard. It does not have to be an alien invasion, EMP or total economic collapse.
Yes, being a prepper is not a bad thing at all, and it does not make you a crackpot or nutjob. It just makes you concerned, informed and smart.
I love to write and create graphics. Come see both at my sites:
Homemade by Jade - my blog for homesteading -http://www.homemade-by-jade.com and Jadelynx Graphix - my site for social media graphics - http://jadelynxgraphix.weebly.com/ I also have a great holiday store online called Gifts for Holidays: http://www.gifts-for-holidays.com/
You can also find my writing on Webnuggetz, Daily Two Cents, Writedge and Honest Reviewz.