Mental strength comes easily to some people, but others have to work at it. There are tenets that you can internalize that will help you become mentally stronger. It is not an easy process and it will take time, but if you can fully believe in these concepts and put them into practice, you will become a stronger person and your confidence will increase.
1. Move on – Learn from the past, both the mistakes and the triumphs. Don’t dwell on the past, or live in it, you cannot change it. Accept that it happened, learn from it and move on.
2. Accept that unexpected changes will happen – make peace with the fact that life is full of changes and you have to be flexible. When changes happen, look for the opportunity there will always be one…..to learn, if nothing else.
3. Strive for realistic expectations – if your challenges and goals are too lofty, you will constantly fail. Setting high goals is good, but make sure they are attainable.
4. Understand that you cannot please everyone all the time – You must live your life according to your goals and desires. Learn to say no and to speak up for yourself when you need to and accept that people will sometimes be upset. This does not mean to be totally self centered, either. Find a balance between living only for yourself and living only for others.
5. Make your own choices and take responsibility for them – Don’t let others talk you into decisions you don’t really want. If your choice ends badly, take responsibility try to fix things or at least admit you were responsible and apologize.
6. Don’t waste time and energy worrying about things you can’t control – Give yourself time to examine the situation and then move on. You may not be able to control the situation, but you can control how you react to it. Don’t feel sorry for yourself or whine and complain. Try your best to put it in a mental box, shut the lid and move on.
7. Realize that no one owes you anything – You are not entitled to happiness, a job, money, love or anything else. These are items that you have to have to get for yourself and if you don’t get them, you have no one to blame but yourself. Accept responsibility for your life.
8. Don’t give up if you don’t succeed the first time – Accept the fact that there is no shame in failure, only in giving up. Make it a personal rule to always try something at least twice before moving on.
It is not easy to internalize these principles, it has to be worked at. A good method is to take one precept at a time, and concentrate on that for a period of time, like a week or a month. When you feel that you have truly accepted it and put it into practice, then move on to the next one. Some people find it helpful to print the list out and to put it next to their mirror and read it every morning to refresh their resolve. This method you choose is up to you, but if you accept and believe these 8 things, you will be a mentally stronger person.
I love to write and create graphics. Come see both at my sites:
Homemade by Jade - my blog for homesteading -http://www.homemade-by-jade.com and Jadelynx Graphix - my site for social media graphics - http://jadelynxgraphix.weebly.com/ I also have a great holiday store online called Gifts for Holidays: http://www.gifts-for-holidays.com/
You can also find my writing on Webnuggetz, Daily Two Cents, Writedge and Honest Reviewz.